Saturday, June 27, 2015

Hematoma

Surgery went well... it was over in a flash. Turns out I had a big hematoma (blood clot) under my incision. It was just getting bigger and bigger and would not let me heal. So, they performed an irrigation and debridement and also removed some dead tissue. I have a drain in for a week or so (hoping to have it removed when I'm back in Seattle for my radiation consult next Thursday). I'm on another week of antibiotics to prevent infection while the drain is in place. I'm also in CRAZY pain!!! I can hardly believe the pain. I've barely slept since surgery and I am keeping myself in an oxycodone fog until it calms down a bit. I spoke with a nurse today... apparently this is typical when you operate on an area multiple times. Ouch!!! But, this procedure should help me heal up fast and get back to an active lifestyle as soon as possible. I hope to feel great by the fall! So much for shorts, swimming, biking and many other activities this summer... but next year I'll just appreciate it that much more!

Lounging with my Hemovac drain.

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. You are so positive! Such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete