Friday, June 12, 2015

Treatment decisions

I had my lumpectomy post-op yesterday. Everything looks great and is healing well. According to pathology, I am Stage 1b, grade 2.

About that positive lymph node... I will NOT have to undergo an axillary lymph node dissection to look for more positive nodes. No more surgery! They used a prediction tool from Sloan Kettering to determine my likelihood of breast cancer spreading beyond the sentinel lymph nodes to additional lymph nodes under the arms. My risk was only 5%!

There is one more hurdle... I am waiting for the results of a test called Oncotype Dx. This test will determine whether or not I will need chemotherapy. I need a low score.

I will be having six weeks of radiation no matter what... but IF I need it, chemo would need to happen first. So, right now we are just waiting to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment