There is no doubt I have a long, tedious road ahead of me... but the good thing is, it's a hopeful one.
Breast cancer update...
I finally visited the breast clinic on 4/21 and was given formal recommendations & options for treatment. I met three new doctors and I will break down what each of them said (in a nutshell, of course... I spent about an hour with each of them).
Surgical oncologist: This doctor recommended a lumpectomy and said that it would be a simple outpatient operation. The sentinel lymph node from under my left arm will also be tested (just like I went through with melanoma on the right side). Recovery time is only about a week and I shouldn't notice any significant physical changes/disfigurement.
Radiation oncologist: Approximately 2 weeks following surgery, this doctor recommends 6 weeks (30 doses) of radiation. This means another (longer) stay in $eattle. Be careful what you wish for, people!!!
Medical oncologist: After radiation, this doctor will start me on Tamoxifen -- a daily pill that blocks estrogen for hormone-receptor positive breast cancers (like mine). I will be on this drug for 5-10 years. If I wish to have another baby, they will actually allow me to stop taking it and then restart after the baby is born or done breastfeeding (if I'm able). We cannot attempt this until I've been taking Tamoxifen for two years... but we were prepared to be told it was completely off the table, so this is a major win in our book.
OF COURSE there is a BUT.
I have to meet with my genetic counselor again to undergo a panel of genetic testing -- including BRCA aka the Angelina Jolie gene mutation -- before we can confidently proceed with the above plan. If I am BRCA positive, which is highly unlikely given that there is NO breast or ovarian cancer in my family to speak of, than a new treatment plan may be formulated. I meet with genetics on Thursday 4/30 and the results will probably take about a month (it's an extensive panel).
So... it's unlikely I'll have any further updates or actual treatment for breast cancer until the end of May. My doctors have assured me that it's a slow growing, small, totally treatable cancer and it's okay if we take this time to make a well-informed decision. It's weird because I can feel it and I just want it out now!
Sarcoma update:
Meanwhile, I'm having surgery on my leg tomorrow. I check in at 5:45am for an 8am procedure. I'll be in the hospital overnight and my unbelievably supportive & fabulous husband will be with me every step of the way... as always. #shoutout
I'll let you know how it goes!
No comments:
Post a Comment