Monday, January 5, 2015

The unknown

Big snafu with my insurance over the holidays...  Authorization for genetic testing was stuck "pending" for 3 weeks.  Should be resolved now, but results are still MIA and my appointment for tomorrow has been rescheduled for 1/13. Makes me wonder how many people in this country do not receive timely treatment and are seriously f*cked over due to medical insurance being such a damn cluster.

In other news, I followed my gut and made an appointment with my gynecologist regarding 1) abnormal uptake in my uterus on my last PET scan and 2) a 6.5cm presumed leiomyoma (common benign uterine fibroid) found on a corresponding ultrasound.

PET results:  Uterine fundal activity is again noted, max SUV 10.1, similar to prior and of unknown clinical significance. Persistent increased uptake of uterus, essentially unchanged from prior. May correspond to leiomyoma seen on prior ultrasound per noted, however this amount of avidity is atypical for leiomyoma. Further evaluation with biopsy vs MRI can be considered.

He reviewed these findings and even compared them to my test results from one year ago. The alleged leiomyoma has grown 2cm and my gynecologist considers that to be rapid growth. Because of this and the continuously high uptake on my PET scans, he wants me to see a gynecologic oncologist. I spoke with SCCA and was referred to someone at UW Medical.  Hopefully I can get in to see her when I'm up there on the 13th.

No comments:

Post a Comment