Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Medication

Quick update, as I am exhausted...

1) Post-op was flawless. Green light to work out!
2) Derm visit went as expected... just had two planned biopsies. Results & sutures out in 10 days (just via phone call / Stevie can remove stitches).
3) Medication (for breast cancer) discussion was a bit more involved...

Tamoxifen is totally off the table. Because it acts as an estrogen in the uterus and could possibly stimulate new fibroids, my medical oncologist feels that it's not the best option for me. Luckily, there is another route I can take... thanks to THIS study that was recently published.

So, I am going to be taking an aromatase inhibitor (a daily pill that lowers estrogen levels by stopping an enzyme in fat tissue) plus monthly ovarian suppression injections (my ovaries will go to sleep and stop producing estrogen). This will throw me into temporary, chemical menopause (hot flashes, night sweats, and more)... plus I may experience fun side-effects like joint pain and bone loss. Learn more about aromatase inhibitors HERE and ovarian suppression HERE.

I had my first injection today... and start my oral meds tomorrow. And still, I must be on these medications for two years before we can think about fertility.

No comments:

Post a Comment