Sunday, November 2, 2014

Results

I received my surgical pathology report for the excision of my "leg lump" on 10/27. It wasn't a benign schwannoma, as originally assumed. Instead, I was told it was a low grade atypical fibroblastic/myofibroblastic neoplasm, 1.3 cm, extending to margin. It originated in the coating of the saphenous nerve in my left medial knee; unrelated to melanoma.

My doctor says that although my path report clearly states "re-excision is recommended," he prefers to watch & wait as I would "lose my saphenous nerve" and much of the feeling in my leg, permanently. He also said the chance of it spreading is "almost null" even though the tumor extended to the margins. I trust my doc, but I am afraid the tumor will come back. It is a possibility that we discussed.

My leg feels okay a little over 2 weeks post-op.  Still pretty numb, tight, and tender to the touch... but I am getting around perfectly fine and have been going on walks without any problem.

My doctor has recommended me for genetic counseling and risk assessment at OHSU. I think that after 2 women's health surgeries, 2 melanoma surgeries, countless biopsies (around 20), and now THIS fiasco... I NEED to figure out WHY.

And...... I have also requested an appointment through Seattle Cancer Care Alliance to get a second opinion. I just feel like it can't hurt to run this all by another medical professional... preferably someone with more experience with sarcomas.

Getting upset.

1 comment:

  1. You're the only person I know that can still look gorgeous on an exam table.

    ReplyDelete