Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Next steps

Scan results:
CT of lungs - clear (!!)
MRI of knee - some uptake, but indiscernible.

New development:
Meeting with Genetics at UW to determine if I have a predisposition to growing tumors. This is because I am only 31 and have been diagnosed with two separate cancers. As I stated in an earlier post, I was already scheduled to have this done at OHSU in February... but we need to know now. If I do have a genetic predisposition, radiation might not be a good idea. The risk of radiation causing a new growth would outweigh the benefit of treatment. If I don't, which is most likely, then we will continue with the originally proposed treatment.

Most likely scenario:
5 weeks of radiation at SCCA beginning in mid- to late-January.  Then 5 weeks of rest.  Then re-excision surgery. Start to finish is about 3 months.

Genetics testing will take place on 12/11 and I won't have the results for about 3 weeks. My sarcoma is low-grade and hasn't spread, so my doctors are comfortable with this timeline.

Time to enjoy the holidays and just wait.

//

Learn more about the sarcoma program at SCCA. My doctor is featured in this video.

No comments:

Post a Comment