On 3/6/12, I went back to OHSU for my post-op appointment. I was told that my wide-excision had clear margins (yay!) and all three biopsies were benign. The lymph node results, however, were... INCONCLUSIVE! I was told that we would know more in about a week.
Inconclusive is officially my least favorite word in the entire English language.
I got a call on 3/14/12... and it was finally some good news! "No further treatment at this time" actually came out of my oncologist's mouth. My lymph node was technically positive, but it was so microscopic and inconclusive that he thought watching & waiting would be sufficient. He mentioned that he would be presenting my case at a Portland tumor board in April and that he would connect with me afterward.
Then came the best 3 weeks I've had in many, many months. I relaxed... felt productive at work... told all my friends/fam that things were good... I was so relieved! BUT...
My oncologist presented my case at the tumor board on 4/4/12. About that watch & wait? Just kidding. He called me on 4/5/12 and told me that after further research, the tumor cells in my lymph nodes were possibly spitzoid melanoma and that he recommends continuing treatment. Secondary Malignant Neoplasm of Axillary Node. Just like that, I was scheduling imaging & another pre-op appointment.
So, I had a brain MRI and PET scan on 4/12/12 (both negative for metastatic disease!!!) and met with my oncologist to discuss the next steps.
Where I'm at now... I'm told I have Stage 3a melanoma. I will have a lymph node dissection on 5/18/12. Doc was kind enough to let me wait until after our 5/5/12 wedding.
If any tumor cells are found in this next dissection, then we start discussing immunotherapy (Interferon). I'm really torn on how I feel about toxic cancer drugs... so let's hope it won't even be an issue. If they find nothing (I'm optimistic) then I will simply be watched very closely (for many years) by both my dermatologist & oncologist -- skin checks, scans, mole-mapping & more. My sweet, future husband has been to every appointment with me (he probably asks more questions than I do) and is great at keeping me calm and sane! Can't imagine doing this without him.
That's all I know at this point! I will update this blog again after surgery. Wish me luck on 5/18/12!
B
No comments:
Post a Comment